Thursday 21 June 2012

The Charmed Life


It took me a really long time to decide on a name for this blog. Mainly because I was confused on the direction. I wanted to write about the books I loved reading, food Eric and I indulge in, people I meet on the streets, random thoughts but most importantly, I wanted something that can sum up what I truly care about...my Iban heritage.

Growing up, we were truly aware of our mix heritage. Red packets for Chinese New Year, savory Chinese dishes, loud Hokkein speaking grandparents. Normal right, for a Chinese family living in Penang Island...well not really. You see, ever so often we will take these week long holidays to Sarawak. Not just Kuching town but deep into the interior. Where the night sky is so black that the stars appear brighter. Where it is normal to swim in the river wearing a sarong and not be shy about it. And where we feel so Iban that it's comfortable.

I cannot promise that I will only write about all things Iban because I am still half Chinese married to an Indian. Living in the city. But I can promise that this will be a charming journey.

Sunset at Entanggor

No comments:

Post a Comment